Courses offered by the DMMH :
The unit of Medical Law and Humanitarian Medicine offers the following three courses :
- "Undergraduate course in Forensic Medicine, Medical Law and Ethics (AMC)" for students of Medicine (Unige)
- "Humanitarian Law and Medicine" (optional course) for medical students
- "Medical Law" (optional course) for students of Medicine.
In addition we participate in :
- "Ethical DC and community immersion" Undergraduate course for medical students
- "Inter-faculty course in Bio-Ethics (Faculty of Law, Faculty of Science)" for students studying science, law, theology or medicine.
Prizes and awards
Professor Bernice Elger has been awarded the “CMPR, Prize for research in Primary Care Medicine 2010” for her research work on medical confidentiality, published in the British Journal of General Practice. She presented her work at the primary care conference in Lucerne on 24.6.2010.
Conference en 2010
Past meeting (3-7 May 2010 Sweden) : Conference on Violations of human rights and humanitarian law, chairs Bernice Elger, Paola Gaeta, Marcelo Aebi
Main research areas of the DMMH :
- "Problèmes éthiques et juridiques liés à la recherche impliquant des biobanques" [Ethical and legal problems linked to research involving biobanks], Financed by : GIAN, MIMOSA, Swiss National Scientific Foundation (A second book will be published in 2009/2010; cf. also the free full text of an article on the subject by Prof. B. Elger, Prof. N. Biller-Andorno (University of Zürich), Prof. A. Capron (USC Gould School of Law) and Prof. A. Mauron (Institute of Biomedical Ethics)
- "Problèmes éthiques et juridiques liés à la recherche utilisant du matériel biologique cadavérique" [Ethical and legal problems linked to research using cadaverous biological materials]" par Prof. B. Elger, Dr M.C. Hofner (MER), Prof. P. Mangin
- "Problèmes éthiques et juridiques liés à la recherche génétique en cas de mort subite"Ethical and legal problems linked to genetic research in the case of sudden death]" par Prof. B. Elger, Prof. P. Mangin, Dr K. Michaud et Dr F. Fellmann
- "Confidentiality, Financement : ASSM" par Prof. B. Elger, Dr A. Eytan, Dr M. Ummel, Prof. B. Gravier (CHUV) and colleagues
- "L'information et la gestion des risques dans le suivi de grossesse: les contextes juridique et sociologique de la relation médecin-patiente. Financement : Fonds National Suisse" [Information and management of risks in the supervision of pregnancy: the legal and sociological contexts of the doctor-patient relationship]" (see Unige-Law-Research) by Prof. D. Manai, Prof. C. Burton-Jeangros, Prof. B. Elger and colleagues
- Death in police custody, Financed by: SNIS" (see the SNIS website) by Prof. B. Elger, Prof. P. Mangin and colleagues, in collaboration with the CICR (Dr M. Tidball-Binz), the University of Bern (Prof. M. Thali) and the Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights (Prof. P. Gaeta, Prof. V. Chetail)
- "Moins de fumée en prison Financement : OFSP" [Less smoking in prison] (see the OFSP website) by Prof. B. Elger and Dr J.-F. Etter, in collaboration with D. Christie, C. Wahl (Cipret Geneva), Dr J. Sommer, Dr J.-P. Humair, Dr H. Wolff and Dr A. Eytan
- "Instances de levée du secret professionnel en Suisse " [Instances of the lifting of professional confidentiality in Switzerland]" by Dr M. Ummel, Dr méd. lic. iur. and colleagues.
Some recent publications by the DMMH :
- Published articles : document with pubmed and fulltext links
Most recent published works :
- "Le Paternalisme Médical : Mythe ou Réalité ?" [Medical Paternalism: Myth or Reality?] by Bernice S. Elger, édité par Médecine & Hygiène, 360 pages, 2010
- "Ethical issues of human genetic databases : A challenge to classical health research ethics ?", edited by B. Elger and published by Ashgate, July 2010
Publications by staff :