|Unit Services||Research and Training||FAQ|
Important : the Geneva unit of UMPT vacated its premises at CMU July 13 to stand at 32, rue Jean-Violette, 1205 Geneva.
Mailing address and phone have changed :
Rue Gabrielle-Perret-Gentil 4,
1211 Geneva 14
Tél : 022 372 19 30
- Driving is a complex form of activity involving especially cognitive, visuospatial and psychomotor functions. Impairment of any of these functions will be detrimental to driving safety. Some medical conditions that can adversely and durably affect your ability to drive safely require an expert opinion.
- The Unit of Traffic Medicine and Psychology specializes in evaluating the ability to drive a motor vehicle.
- When inability to drive is presumed for medical, psychological or psychiatric reasons, the unit is asked to prepare an expert evaluation by the Department of Motor Vehicles and Navigation (SAN) of the canton in which the person in question resides (SAN for the canton of Vaud and SCV for the canton of Geneva)).
Fields of activity
Depending on the type of request, different investigations are carried out :
- medical interview and examination
- psychological interview and examination, as well as psychotechnical tests (these are tests specially designed to evaluate driving performance)
- psychiatric interview
- blood, hair and urine tests (in collaboration with the UTCF).
Where inability to drive is confirmed, experts propose conditions with which the user must comply before eligibility to drive can be reconsidered.
The unit consists of secretaries, doctors and psychologists and collaborates with consulting psychiatrists.
In some situations, specialist opinions are requested (ophthalmologists, cardiologists, neurologists, lung specialists, etc).
The unit also works in collaboration with the TCS which organises prevention courses for senior citizens and with the CREACA(Collège romand d’experts en aptitude à la conduite automobile).
In addition, the UMPT has helped to prepare a course for the prevention of repeat drink-driving offences.
To respond to expertise requests in driving ability assessment, the UMPT is equipped with various instruments :
- Visual acuity testing
- Computerized driving simulator (mostly dedicated to R&D).
Site and maps
- Days of opening : from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. and 1.30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Phone inquiry ( Tél : 021 316 62 50 ) : Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 9 a.m to 11.30 a.m. and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Urine test, please phone to make an appointment ( Tél : 021 316 62 53 ) : Wednesday morning 8.30 a.m. to 11.30 a.m.
- E-mail : email@example.com
- Fax : 021 314 89 62
- Days of opening : from Monday to Thursday, 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. and 1.30 p.m. to 5 p.m. ; Friday, 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. and 1.30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Opening times for phone information : Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday : 9.30 a.m. to 12 a.m and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Telephone : 022 372 19 30
- Postal address : Rue Gabrielle-Perret-Gentil 4, 1211 Genève 14
- E-mail is the preferred method of communication : Unite.UMPT@hcuge.ch
- Fax : 022 372 19 58